Jaguar XE SV Project 8 Sets New Speed Record
- Jaguar XE SV Project 8 confirms status as the world’s fastest production sedan with a new lap record in the USA
- Driver Randy Pobst clocked 1min 37.54sec in Project 8 on the 2.2-mile course at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, California
- Achievement follows the Nürburgring Nordschleife production sedan lap record of 7min 21.23sec set in November 2017
- XE SV Project 8 is the quickest, most powerful road-legal Jaguar ever, with a 600PS supercharged V8 petrol engine, 0-60mph in 3.3sec (0-100km/h in 3.7sec) and 200mph top speed
- Strictly limited to 300 units; all hand-built at Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations in Coventry, available from £149,995 in the UK
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, September 16, 2018 – Jaguar’s supercar-rivalling XE SV Project 8 has confirmed its status as the world’s fastest four-door car by setting a new track record.
The 600PS, 200mph four-door road-legal sedan lapped the 2.238-mile WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in 1min 37.54sec – almost a second faster than the previous production sedan record – with racing driver Randy Pobst at the wheel.
The most extreme Jaguar yet produced, XE SV Project 8 is a sedan with genuine supercar performance. Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations engineers fine-tuned the car on some of the world’s most thrilling test tracks, including Germany’s famed Nürburgring Nordschleife. Late last year XE SV Project 8 lapped the 12.9-mile circuit in a record 7min 21.23sec.
Michael van der Sande, Jaguar Land Rover Special Operations Managing Director, said: “This Laguna Seca lap record is another powerful demonstration of the Jaguar XE SV Project 8’s performance credentials.
“Designed, engineered and hand-assembled by Special Vehicle Operations, this record-breaking sedan is made for the world’s most demanding driving enthusiasts.”
Project 8 is the ultimate expression of Jaguar’s XE sports sedan. While based on XE’s lightweight aluminium-intensive monocoque, each of the 300 hand-built Project 8 cars are modified at the SV Technical Centre in Coventry to accommodate the specially tuned, supercharged 5.0-litre V8 engine and a bespoke rear differential.
Unlike most high-performance production sedans, the all-wheel-drive XE SV Project 8 is studded with genuine motor racing technology such as F1-style ceramic wheel bearings, adjustable ride height and adjustable camber.
The front and rear fenders are bespoke to accommodate larger, wider, wheels which are necessitated by the larger brakes. The V8’s power is routed through all four Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres through an eight-speed Quickshift automatic ZF transmission, helping to propel the car from 0-60 mph in 3.3sec and an electronically limited top speed of 200mph.
In order to achieve this performance, the car receives significant aerodynamic and suspension upgrades, including a ‘Track’ mode for maximum downforce and further improvements to the damping, throttle and steering response.
Project 8 is available in two specifications. The standard four-seat model features Jaguar’s latest front Performance seats with magnesium frames, plus a more heavily contoured rear squab to maximise support. The optional two-seat Track Pack includes lightweight front carbon fibre racing seats with four-point harnesses fixed to a harness retention hoop in place of the rear seat.
Home >> Automobile Section