Team Abu Dhabi Duo Back in Control of World Title Race After Aussie Double in China
Torrente, Al Mansoori lead XCAT series into final round as team-mates grab another second place in China
Abu Dhabi, UAE, 3 November, 2019: Team Abu Dhabi’s Shaun Torrente and Faleh Al Mansoori have another UIM XCAT World Championship title within their grasp after a day of drama in China which saw Australians Tom Barry-Cotter and Ross Willaton complete back-to-back race wins
Reigning world champions Torrente and Al Mansoori in Abu Dhabi 4 were promoted from fourth to third place in race three at the Shanghai Grand Prix at the expense of the Dubai Police crew, Arif Al Zaffain and Nadir Bin Hendi, who collected a 30 seconds time penalty for hitting a buoy.
The result means Torrente and Al Mansoori will carry a five-point lead over Al Zaffain and Bin Hendi into the final round of the series in Dubai where a tense three-way battle for the title is now guaranteed on 12-14 December.
After a second race win in 24 hours, Barry-Cotter and Ross Willaton in Maritimo are just two points further adrift of Dubai Police and the XCAT series is set for a dramatic climax.
Making it an even more rewarding weekend for Team Abu Dhabi, Rashed Al Tayer and Majed Al Mansoori in Abu Dhabi 5 rounded off an impressive run of performances by repeating their previous day’s second place finish for a hat-trick of podiums on Shanghai’s Dishui Lake.
“As a team we are very happy with the way Abu Dhabi 5 ran all weekend,” said Torrente. “Rashed and Majed did an amazing job. We had so many problems. We broke two engines, a mid-section and had an accident at the start of the last race. To get a second, fifth and a third, we are thrilled to be going to Dubai with our future in our hands.”
Shanghai Grand Prix Race 3 results
1. Maritimo (AUS) Tom Barry-Cotter / Ross Willaton 32.55.78
2. Abu Dhabi 5 (UAE) Rashed Al Tayer / Majed Al Mansoori 33.12.16
3. Abu Dhabi 4 (UAE) Shaun Torrente / Faleh Al Mansoori 33.39.36
4. Dubai Police (UAE) Arif Al Zaffain / Nadir Bin Hendi 33.50.48
5. HPI Racing Team (IT) Rosario Schiano Di Cola / Guiseppe Schiano Di Cola 34.10.03
6. 222 Offshore (IT/AUS) Giovanni Carpitella / Darren Nicholson 35.06.35
7. Kuwait (KWT) Abdullatif Al Omani / Moustafa Al Dashti +1 lap
8. Videx (IT) Alfredo Amato / Saul Bubacco + 1 lap
9. New Star Racing (RU) Mikhail Kitashev / Dimitry Vandyshev + 1 lap
10. De Mitri (IT) Roberto Lo Piano / Marco Di Cosmo + 1 lap
XCAT World Championship positions
1. Abu Dhabi 4 144pts
2. Dubai Police 139
3. Maritimo 137
4. Abu Dhabi 5 113
5. 222 Offshore 71
6. HPI Racing Team 60
7. The Blue Roo 48
8. New Star Racing 47
9. Swecat Racing 44
7. Kuwait 42
Home >> Entertainment Section