UAE Wins Two Major Positions in FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
• First UAE doctor gets selected for the position of FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
• Dr Tahlak becomes the first UAE doctor to be selected for this position in FIGO
• The International Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecology (FIGO) is a Non- Profit Organization, which is the global voice of Women’s Health.
• Dr Muna Tahlak is the CEO of Latifa Hospital for Women and Children; she is the first Emirati to complete her specialization in Obs/Gyne from the John Hopkins Hospital in the USA.
• Dr Amala Nazareth, leading obstetrician and gynaecologist from Dubai gets selected as a core member of the FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, November 7, 2021: The United Arab Emirates recently won two major positions in FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
The International Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecology (FIGO) has selected Dr Muna Tahlak, CEO of Latifa Hospital for Women and Children for the for the position of FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
FIGO also selected Dr Amala Nazareth, leading obstetrician and gynaecologist from Dubai as a core member of the FIGO Regional Trustee Africa - Eastern Mediterranean 2021–2023.
FIGO is a Non- Profit Organization that is the global voice of Women’s Health. Around 137 countries subdivided geographically in to five different regions come under the purview of FIGO. FIGO oversees all aspects of women’s health and is responsible for all aspects of global women’s healthcare.
Dr Muna AbdulRazzaq Tahlak is the Chief Executive officer (CEO) of DHA’s Latifa Hospital for Women and Children and an obstetrics and gynaecology consultant.
She said this is a proud moment and that representing the UAE is an honour. She added that she will fulfill this role to the best of her abilities and that enhancing gynecological care and access to women globally is a key priority.
Dr Tahlak is also Adjunct Faculty at Mohamed Bin Rashid University in Dubai. She is the first Emirati woman to complete her specialization in obstetrics and gynaecology from the John Hopkins Hospital, United States of America (USA). In 1997, she graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland and topped her class in pathology. She is American Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology since 2005. She completed her Executive Master of Public Administration Program from Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Government in 2020.
Prior to joining the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), Dr Tahlak worked in USA as an obstetrics and gynaecology consultant from 2004 to 2006.
Dr Muna joined Latifa Women and Children Hospital, Dubai Health Authority in November 2006 as a Consultant Obstetrician/Gynaecologist. She later held the posts of Assistant Head of Obs/Gyn and Head of Obs/Gyn at Latifa Hospital.
During her tenure as the head of the department, Dr Tahlak developed the minimal invasive surgery services at the hospital. She established the Outpatient Office Hysteroscopy Procedure at the hospital fostering the use of minimally invasive techniques in her field. Using this procedure, hysteroscopies are conducted without the need for hospitalization or anaesthesia as it used to be done previously.
She also served as the Director of DHA’s Obs/Gyn Residency Program from 2007 till 2010. She is a member of several esteemed national and international societies and associations, which include:
• President of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society of Emirates Medical Association.
• Member of American Congress of obstetricians and gynaecologists
• Member of American Association of Gynaecologic Laparoscopists.
• Member of International Hospital Federation (IHF) Governing Council
• Treasurer of International Hospital Federation(IHF)
As the CEO of Latifa Hospital for Women and Children, Dr Tahlak has fostered the implementation of minimally invasive surgeries as they are less invasive, lead to fewer complications and facilitate quicker post-surgery recovery.
Today the hospital has become a pioneer in minimally invasive gynecology surgeries and more than 90 per cent of all surgeries are performed minimally invasively.
The hospital is also recognized as a centre of excellence in the region and receives the most complex cases due to the expertise and experience of its medical staff, processes and provision of internationally recognized standards of care.
Dr Tahlak regularly participates in various conferences as a speaker, she has received various awards for excellence in her field and she provides training for resident doctors. Dr Muna has many publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Home >> Healthcare & Medicine Section