The new BMW 8 Series Convertible.
Dubai, UAE, November 08, 2018: BMW is forging ahead with its model offensive in the luxury segment with the presentation of an open-top sports car which explores the highest reaches of dynamic flair, emotionality and exclusivity. The new BMW 8 Series Convertible blends ultra-sporty driving properties with distinctive design elegance and offers an extremely exclusive passport to hallmark BMW driving pleasure and a full-blooded open-top driving experience.
- Premiere for the second model in the new BMW 8 Series luxury-class line-up: New BMW 8 Series Convertible combines dynamic flair and serene long-distance ability with a sumptuous open-top driving experience.
- Open-air driving pleasure for four people. Classical soft-top roof with fully electric, extremely quiet operation, minimised weight and outstanding acoustic comfort. Roof opens and closes in 15 seconds at the touch of a button and when travelling at up to 50 km/h (31 mph). Soft-top in Black as standard or Anthracite Silver effect as an option.
- Standalone interpretation of emotionally rich exterior styling based on the new, clear and precise BMW design language. Familiar BMW proportions and elegantly flowing lines stand out particularly clearly with the roof down. Compact, taut soft-top generates distinctive “deck” silhouette.
- Wide, sporty rear-end design underlines the low-slung stance of the new BMW 8 Series Convertible.
- Exterior and interior design work together harmoniously. Gently rising shoulderline; surrounds for the side windows and soft-top lid merge. Front and rear seats embraced in a flowing movement. Sophisticated design for soft-top compartment with subtle domes and surfacing that takes its cues from the instrument panel and door shoulders.
- Market launch in March 2019 with two model variants: BMW M850i xDrive Convertible (fuel consumption combined: 10.0 – 9.9 l/100 km [28.3 – 28.5 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 229 – 225 g/km)* with 390 kW/530 hp V8 engine and BMW 840d xDrive Convertible (fuel consumption combined: 6.3 – 5.9 l/100 km [44.8 – 47.9 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 165 – 155 g/km)* with six-cylinder in-line diesel engine and 235 kW/320 hp. Both engine variants meet Euro 6d-TEMP exhaust standard. Power transfer by eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission and BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive.
- Unadulterated sports car character thanks to unwavering focus on maximising performance capability, powertrain technology and chassis in the development of the body structure. Developed alongside BMW 8 Series Coupe, BMW M8 and BMW M8 GTE endurance racer. Low centre of gravity, even weight distribution, lightweight construction using aluminium, magnesium and carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP), aerodynamically optimised, almost lift-free body.
- Extremely stiff body and chassis structure with Convertible-specific underbody bracing. Special occupant protection measures, including strengthened windscreen frame and rollover bars behind the rear seats that extend by pyrotechnic charge.
- Adaptive M suspension, Integral Active Steering and mixed-size tyres as standard. M Sport differential (with electronically controlled differential lock) fitted as standard at the rear axle of the BMW M850i xDrive Convertible and available as an option for the BMW 840d xDrive Convertible. Active roll stabilisation optional for the BMW M850i xDrive Convertible.
- Driving Experience Control switch with ADAPTIVE mode. Clearly noticeable difference in car set-up between COMFORT and ECO Pro modes at one end of the spectrum and SPORT / SPORT+ modes at the other. Carefully judged adjustment of the powertrain and chassis systems enables clear focus on dynamic sharpness or sumptuous comfort.
- Adaptive LED headlights and LED rear lights as standard. BMW Laserlight with Selective Beam and high beam range increased to 600 metres available as an option.
- M Sport package for the BMW 840d xDrive Convertible with specific design and equipment features: front apron with extra-large air intakes, distinctive side skirt and rear apron design, 19-inch M light-alloy wheels, M Sport braking system, multifunction seats, M leather steering wheel and illuminated door sills with M logo. BMW M850i xDrive Convertible also has a front spoiler extension, 20-inch M light-alloy wheels and high- performance tyres, specific M Sport braking system, exclusive exterior elements in Cerium Grey, interior trim strips in stainless steel mesh design and illuminated door sills with model badge. M Technic Sport Package available for the BMW 840d xDrive Convertible.
- Further individualisation options provided by Chrome Line Exterior, M Carbon exterior package with air intake slats, exterior mirror covers and exhaust tailpipe embellisher in CFRP, plus BMW Individual features.
- Convertible-specific equipment features designed to enhance comfort: Pop-up wind deflector in the rear fitted as standard, neck warmers integrated into the front head restraints are optional. Leather appointments with Sun Reflective Technology.
- Low, sports-car seating position. Electrically adjustable sports seats with memory function and Vernasca leather trim as standard in the BMW 840d xDrive Convertible. BMW M850i xDrive Convertible fitted as standard with multifunction seats and Merino leather trim with extended features. Longitudinally oriented lines and surfacing, driver-oriented cockpit and clearly structured arrangement of controls sharpen the focus on the dynamically engaging driving experience. High-quality materials, stylish interior illumination courtesy of Ambient light feature. Instrument panel and door shoulders with fulled leather trim as standard.
- Four seats, through-loading function with 50 : 50 split/folding rear seat backrest. Boot capacity: 350 litres. Automatic boot lid operation and Comfort Access including hands-free opening and closing of the boot lid as standard.
- High-class options designed for modern luxury: telephony with wireless charging, BMW Display Key, Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System, Heat Comfort package, active seat ventilation, Automatic Soft Close function for the doors, glass applications for selected controls.
- Extensive range of driver assistance systems. Fitted as standard: High Beam Assistant, Driving Assistant including Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning system with City Braking function, Lane Departure Warning and Lane Change Warning systems, Speed Limit Info, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Rear Collision warning, and Parking Assistant including Reversing Assistant. Optional: Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function, Driving Assistant Professional including Steering and lane control assistant, Lane Keeping Assistant with active side collision protection, evasion aid, distance information, Cross Traffic Alert, Priority warning and Wrong-way warning systems, as well as Parking Assistant Plus with Surround View, Top View, Panorama View and Remote 3D View.
- Latest Generation of the BMW Head-Up Display and BMW Live Cockpit Professional including navigation system, fully digital instrument cluster and 10.25-inch Control Display (with identical modern graphics) as standard. New BMW Operating System 7.0 enables extremely fast access to settings and functions, customisable displays and multimodal operation via touchscreen display, iDrive Controller, steering wheel buttons and voice control.
- BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant: Digital co-driver and vehicle expert is controlled by natural voice commands. Integration of Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business. BMW Digital Key enables car access and engine start-up via smartphone. Remote Software Upgrades allow updating of vehicle functions over the air.
Model variants at launch:
BMW M850i xDrive Convertible:
V8 petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission.
Capacity: 4,395cc, output: 390 kW/530 hp at 5,500 – 6,000 rpm, max. torque: 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) at 1,800 – 4,600 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 3.9 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
Fuel consumption combined: 10.0 – 9.9 l/100 km [28.3 – 28.5 mpg imp]
(28.2 – 28.5 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions combined: 229 – 225 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6d- TEMP.
BMW 840d xDrive Convertible:
Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission. Capacity: 2,993cc, output: 235 kW/320 hp at 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 680 Nm (501 lb-ft) at 1,750 – 2,250 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.2 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
Fuel consumption combined: 6.3 – 5.9 l/100 km [44.8 – 47.9 mpg imp]
(44.8 – 47.9 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions combined: 165 – 155 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6d- TEMP.
The fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and electric power consumption figures were determined according to the European Regulation (EC) 715/2007 in the version applicable. The figures refer to a vehicle with basic configuration in Germany. The range shown considers the different sizes of the selected wheels/tyres and the selected items of optional equipment, and may vary during configuration.
The values are already based on the new WLTP test cycle and are translated back into NEDC-equivalent values in order to ensure comparability between the vehicles. With respect to these vehicles, for vehicle-related taxes or other duties based (at least inter alia) on CO2 emissions, the CO2 values may differ from the values stated here (depending on national legislation).
Home >> Automobile Section